The application for Idea Lab funding is contained in a brief form here, requiring a description of your idea in writing or on video. The Idea Lab Funding Panel will review all applications and determine which are novel to your classroom, able to be done this year, and include some version of hands-on experiential learning for your students. Only applicants whose proposals meet these criteria will be asked to meet with the panel and orally “pitch” their ideas.
- You must submit either a one-page description or a brief video explaining your idea. Your submission should indicate the goals of your project; what impact the project will have on you, your colleagues, and your students; and why the project is innovative.
- Successful applications will demonstrate engaging, experiential learning in some way. Funds may be used to pay for stipends; consultants; conference fees; and materials, equipment, or technology necessary to support your idea.
- The BEF will not support projects that should be funded more appropriately within the school budget. Proposals should not request funds for classroom supplies or routine lesson plan development. For example, we would not fund teacher planning time or training required to launch a new academic curriculum adopted by an individual school or the system as a whole.
- Please note that Idea Lab funding is intended to encourage new, engaging ways to involve your students in meaningful curriculum.
- Educators are also required to attend Celebrating Teachers on May 12, 2020.
The Innovation Catalyst Award:
The BEF is providing an additional incentive to new and experiential approaches to teaching through an INNOVATION CATALYST AWARD. This award will be presented to the 2019 Idea Lab grant recipient whose grant best supports a creative, engaging approach to teaching.
One outstanding award recipient will be chosen from 2018 Idea Lab grant recipients. There is no separate application for the award, which includes a $500 prize. The selection committee will choose the recipient whose grant exemplifies the spirit of Idea Lab by offering a new and novel idea that will help transform student learning.
The INNOVATION CATALYST AWARD, which is intended to encourage creativity and thinking “outside the box,” may be used to further the goals of the awardee’s Idea Lab grant by funding additional stipends, administrative costs, equipment, or technology directly related to the grant.